I have been running a niche consulting business since 2003. Coming from the position of solicitor it was obvious at first to focus my niche consultancy business on marketing law firms. That niche consultancy business continues to grow year on year.
The aim of this article is to show you how you can grow your own niche consultancy business.
If you haven’t yet chosen your niche for your consultancy, you might find these articles helpful:
If you already have a niche consultancy, how do you grow it?
1. The money is in the list – still?!?!?
What you absolutely must understand when you are selling a niche consultancy service of any kind is this:
Your clients will rarely wake up in the morning, jump out of bed and say “Today I am going to employ a (insert your niche) consultant!”
Instead, they wake up with a problem that is related to the consulting services that you provide and they head online to start to find some answers to fix that problem.
You must offer solutions to these problems in the form of articles or blogs and at the end of those articles you must offer an ‘item of value’ in exchange for their contact details.
A niche consulting has a Marketing DNA of Nurture, so it is all about growing your email list and offering at least weekly emails in which you prove your understanding of your clients’ needs and problems, then offer them a number of ‘next’ options in each of those emails.
If you run a consulting niche and want to grow it consistently, the money absolutely is in your email list, so long as you consistently grow that email list and communicate with it.
What should your emails say and what should you offer in them? Let’s take a look at that next.
2. What should you say in your weekly emails?
The purpose of your regular emails to your growing email list of potential clients is to do two things:
- Prove to your audience that you really are an expert in this niche consulting area; and
- Offer them a ‘next step’ to working with you.
You prove your expertise by always remembering to SERVE NOT SELL.
Always put your clients first in your emails and write about the pain or troubles or concerns that they are experiencing, then explain how they can start to work towards fixing them and they will begin to realise that you really do understand them.
Once they realise this, each week some of them will be ready to discover more about how you can help them, so you need to offer them a way to do this.
There should be two main ways that you do this (and you mix them up so that the message is not always the same):
- To buy one of your information products or join your membership site; or
- Book a ‘free strategy call’ with you. You should never call this a ‘free strategy call’ as that is not very appealing. It needs to have a name that makes them eager to book the call and sells the benefit of what you niche consulting services will do for them. I explain how to do this in the six figure consultancy guide available at the foot of this article.
3. Always Be Growing Your Email List
Once you have parts one and two fixed, it will become so much easier for you to grow your niche consulting business.
I know this from experience – hard earned experience of running a niche consulting business marketing law firms www.samsonconsulting.co.uk since 2003.
You grow your email list by following a regular plan of:
- Writing articles that answer the questions your ideal clients are always asking (you get these article ideas from a number of source but one of the best is the free strategy calls you are having with your prospects);
- Putting those articles onto your website with a call to action to download your ‘item of value’ to find out more about them; and
- Posting a link to that article with an enticing title and the first few sentences on all of your social media platforms (with the intention of growing your email list further still).
This is practically the only plan anyone needs to grow a niche consulting business. It is the one that I have followed since 2003 and continue to follow to this day.
When you get this plan singing it works beautifully.
To get it singing you need to write the right content, you need to offer the correct free guides, name your strategy call correctly and have a call which proves your expertise but leaves them eager for more so that you can move them onto the next step of working with you.
There is more on each of these things in my 6 Figure Consultancy Guide.
Click the button below to download this now.